How to Use Email Marketing to Grow Your Business
Email marketing is a highly effective tool for business owners. It’s also one of the most misused and misunderstood marketing tools. A single email marketing campaign has the potential to raise your business’ profile and income stream significantly.
In order to achieve success, you will need to know
- What email marketing is and why it is so important
- How to write an effective email newsletter
- Ways you can grow your email list
- How to use email automation
We’ll cover each of these points below, helping you take your business to new heights.
What is Email Marketing?
Simply put, email marketing is the use of email to sell products or services. A business creates an email newsletter that they send out to their email list. Often it uses bulk email software such as MailChimp, MailerLite, or Klaviyo. Sadly, many marketers have misused this tool and given email newsletters a bad rap in two ways:
- Spam – the sending of unsolicited emails to people
- Poor quality and frequent emails – sending emails out in huge and frequent quantities pushing
These two things have led to many seeing any form of email marketing as negative. Consequently, people are reluctant to subscribe to a business email list. However, it is worth persevering because of the many benefits it provides:
- Easy to identify return on investment
- Personalised marketing options
- Building relationships with customers
- Help develop your brand voice
- Cost-effective marketing
- Increased sales
It is well worth undertaking newsletter marketing campaigns for these reasons.
How to Write An Effective Email Newsletter
An effective email newsletter will contain information of interest and value to your target audience.
A successful email newsletter will:
- Be well designed and thought out
- Be free of spelling and grammatical errors
- Contain user-generated content and links to your website
- Be short and simple
- Use clear calls to action
- Have a specific focus
Many business owners find it useful to outsource the writing of their email newsletters because they:
1: Are Not Sure What to Write
If one of your barriers to sending your newsletter is because you don’t know what to write or what to include, you are not alone. This is one of the main reasons why email marketing is put in the too-hard basket. Showcase your top-selling product or remind them that your sale is ending tonight.
2: Keep Forgetting to Send Their Newsletter
Outsourcing means you literally set and forget your newsletters. Your virtual assistant will contact you when it’s time to think about your newsletter to ensure it is sent out on your preferred date.
3: Want to Build A Community Outside Of Social Media
Encouraging your social media community to subscribe to your email database allow you to stay in touch with them. A great way to encourage them is running a competition where they have to sign up for your newsletter.
4: Need to Increase Their Sales
Are you looking for ways to increase your sales? Your newsletter needs to be an important part of your marketing strategy. Offering website visitors a discount code in exchange for their email addresses can be an effective way to grow your database AND increase your sales.
5: Want To Position Themselves As An Industry Leader
Do you regularly publish content on your website or write guest articles? Sending your subscribers a link is a great way to ensure your content is read by the right people.
Your newsletter is a core part of your digital marketing strategy. Because it works in conjunction with social media, content writing (whether that is blogs or articles), and even your PR campaigns. We can take all of the stress away: outsource your email marketing campaigns to us!
Four Easy Ways to Grow Your Email List
Email addresses are pure gold in the business world. With research showing that over 91% of people check their emails daily, email marketing is the third most successful form of lead generation. But without an engaged email list, you will struggle to get the results you want. That makes growing your email list one of the goals you should constantly be working on.
Four ways you can do this are:
- Create a lead magnet for your target audience wants and give it to them in exchange for their email address. People are time-poor and want instant results. To encourage them to give you their email address, first, you are going to need to identify what their problem is, and secondly, give them a solution. Such as Cheatsheets, guides, free shipping, etc.
- Share your sign-up link everywhere – social media is a great platform to grow your newsletter subscribers. As they have spent the time trying to find you, chances are they are keen on learning more. So, by promoting your sign-up link inside your posts and tweets, you are making it simple for them to do so. Everyone loves simple! I also recommend adding it to your email signature.
- Use opt-ins and pop-ups on your website – pop-ups; you either hate them or love them, but one thing is for sure, they actually work at getting email addresses. You can go for pop-ups that appear only after a few seconds on a page or an exit intent pop-up, which works out that the person is going to leave your website and then appears before they leave. Not into aggressive pop-ups? That’s okay because you could just have a side-bar or graphic on a web page which acts as part of the website design.
- Set up a landing page on your website – lots of people sit on the fence about whether to sign up or not to a newsletter. This dedicated website page allows you to really show them what specific benefits they will get by giving you their email address.
We can help you not only write the content but once we have sent your campaign out, we will do a report on the results. Get started with our email marketing services today.
How to Use Automation in Your Email Marketing Campaigns
As a time-pressed business owner, the more bang for your buck you with the least amount of effort on your part is well worth investigating. As you work to grow your email list, you will likely gain new subscribers in drips and drabs over a period of time. Responding to them as they arrive is hugely time-consuming, especially when your attention elsewhere is more profitable. That’s where email automation comes in handy.
Set up an email follow-up sequence for subscribers, moving them through your sales funnel with minimal effort on your behalf. By sending periodic emails with various offers related to their initial subscription topics, you can keep readers engaged and build a relationship with them. Let’s take a look at a typical follow-up sequence for a free opt-in series:
Your reader has opted in to download your freebie from your website. Over the next 30 days, you’ll want to stay in contact with a targetted follow-up nurture sequence that automatically sends an email based on the actions taken.
Thank them for downloading your freebie and give them access to it.
This email should contain follow on information relating to the freebie. Highlight how awesome their life will be if they implement your freebie.
Send a case study or testimonial from a customer who has seen results from your using your freebie.
Answer any common objections and questions you get from customers. Remind them what benefits they will enjoy or even won’t enjoy.
Make your offer and get that sale. Use an offer they can’t refuse, and give them a short time-frame. For example, buy in the next 24 hours to get 50% off and tell them what will happen if they don’t i.e. the price will revert back it’s the normal price.
Email 6 and beyond:
If your reader reaches this point without buying, then it may be that your product is just not right for her. Continue to stay in contact by moving them to your main mailing list.
One important thing to remember about this email sequence: if your reader buys before they get to Email 5, you need to remove them from the sequence and move them to the next one.
Most email marketing platforms have automation built in that allows you to move subscribers from one list to another based on their actions.
If you’d like help with your email marketing, get in touch with us today. We’d love to help you create and grow your email marketing campaigns to position you as a leader in your industry.