Table of Contents
You Sell a Service. So it’s a great time to talk about how to segment your email list.
The heart of email marketing is not only what you send. It’s about getting the right emails to the right people. This is where list segmentation steps in. Let’s explore how to do this with tools like MailerLite and Mailchimp.
What Is Email List Segmentation?
Think of segmentation as sorting your contacts into clear groups. It’s like having different folders for subscribers who like different services. But it’s all in your email marketing platform.
Why Should You Segment your Email List?
- Relevance: Your emails will matter more to each person.
- Engagement: More people will read your emails.
- Efficiency: You save time by sending the right message to the right group.
Using MailerLite and Mailchimp
Both MailerLite and Mailchimp offer tools to segment your list. Let’s look at each:
- Tags: These are like labels. Tag your contacts based on interests, past buys, or email interactions.
- Groups: These are categories. Put contacts into groups based on what services they show an interest in.
- Segments: These update on their own. They group contacts by things like how much they interact, where they are, or what emails they open.
- Tags: These work like in MailerLite. Label your contacts by what they do or like.
- Groups: These are mini-lists in your main list. Subscribers can pick their groups when they sign up.
- Segments: This filters contacts based on shared traits, like behaviour or engagement level
How to Create a Segment Framework
- Define Your Criteria: Decide what puts someone in a segment. This could be their interest in a service, where they are, or how they react to your past emails.
- Tag and Group Contacts: Use tags for specific details and groups for broader ones.
- Create Segments: Mix tags and groups to make segments. For example, make a segment of clients who clicked a service link in your last email.
Tips for Good Segmentation
- Keep It Simple: Begin with broad segments. Get more detailed as you understand your audience better.
- Check Often: People’s interests shift. Keep your segments up-to-date.
- Test and Learn: Try different email content for different segments to see what works best.
Final Thoughts from Louise
Segmenting your email list is more than a smart tactic. It makes your connection with your audience more personal and effective.
Start small and watch your engagement rise.
Ready to Elevate Your Email Marketing?
You’ve learned how segmentation can transform your email strategy. But how does your current approach measure up?
Find out with my comprehensive Email Marketing Audit. We’ll dive deep into your existing email marketing, assessing everything from list health to engagement metrics.
Discover personalised strategies to boost your results and connect more effectively with your audience.
Not sure what you need? Get in touch with Louise here.